Here we bring out one more idea for CSR that is viable and would impact many lives. We like this idea in particular as it addresses all the basic needs of a household. The idea here is of a domestic solar kit with drip irrigation facility.
What does a domestic solar kit mean for India?
India happens to have the largest population that do not have access to electricity or have interrupted power supply that is not adequate. The number is roughly 304 million. This constitute 6% of the urban and 33% of rural population.
What’s the cost of having no electricity?
Lack of electricity has enormous implications – families forego entrepreneurial endeavors, children cannot study after dark, health and women are burdened with time consuming chores such as pounding grain or hauling water, leaving them with less time to engage in income generating activities.
If organizations take initiative through CSR to energize the household with electricity, it is surely going to affect the complete community. Energy will bring more income to the household, scope of education, and over all leading to higher productivity and development for individuals of the community.
The implementation part is straight forward.
The solar power will charge the battery through inverter which will in turn power the household electric appliances. The system will power daily household equipment and irrigation system for a particular number of hours in the day and also after sunset.
The system -Domestic solar kit with Drip Irrigation, will include the following components-
- Solar source
- CFL bulbs
- Storage tank
- a small drip irrigation system and
- a water filter
Power stored in the battery will pass through inverter. This will run fan, CFL bulbs, and pump. The pump will feed water into storage tank from the nearby lake or ground water. Water in storage tank will be used for drip irrigation, drinking water and other household chores.
What can be the impact of this project –
These kind of projects have a wide impact not only to individuals and family but to community as whole. These projects encourage education, empowers household, provides better earning opportunities and healthy and better life.
To add on the impact list, here are some pointers –
- Reliable access to energy will make their summers more comfortable; increase their productivity hours thereby increasing the per capita income and standard of living.
- Encourages sustainable development, & food security, helps empower rural households by providing them means to indulge in backyard farming. The product can then be either sold at the local market or be used for self-consumption.
- Women burdened with time consuming chores are relived, thereby giving them chance of better livelihood, income opportunities, self-sufficient and making them independent.
- Solar run bulbs will replace kerosene, which produce toxic fumes, black carbon, and increase risk of burns.
- Providing better study environment and opportunities for children thereby improving school enrollment.
- The system helps to reduce carbon footprint, wastage of water and enhance green technology.
- The project will provide the families with basic rights for a better life such as electricity and running water.
- This project combines energy conservation, water management, agricultural revolution, educational impetus and women empowerment.
The project will have a great impact on the lives of the people. As each household gets their own system, it will give them a sense of belonging and definitely contribute towards its up-keeping. The warranties and guarantees on the products will make sure that any issue is dealt with swiftly and efficiently by the suppliers.
After 5 years of supportive service of the system the pump, battery and inverter costs relatively less, this can be bought by the households from sales of produce and savings from alternate fuels. The maintenance and cleaning can be done by every person in a household, the panels need to be cleaned on a weekly basis.