Any well-maintained machinery runs better and provides greater efficiency. The same goes for solar panels. Periodic cleaning and maintenance help them to function better as well as enhance their longevity. Without proper cleaning procedures, it will be impossible to enjoy the maximum benefits of the sun’s energy. A recent study has indicated that a thorough cleaning makes the panels at least 3.5% more efficient.
Why is cleaning necessary?
Solar panels essentially require minimal maintenance. They come with a service life of almost 20 years if maintained well. Solar panel cleaning is an intrinsic part of the maintenance as well as the efficient energy generation process.
The cleaning entails washing the PV panels and making them free from pollutants like dust, sand, smog and dirt that may have collected on them. Pollutants result in blocking the generation of energy and reduce their peak performance. Periodic cleaning facilitates the photovoltaic system to operate more efficiently and even increases the life span of the equipment.
Periodic cleaning enhances efficiency
Cleaning is usually necessary on a fortnightly or monthly basis. It varies based on the type of solar panel used and the pollution level in the concerned area. Most companies hire the services of professional agencies to clean their solar panels periodically.
Below are some tips for effective cleaning of these panels:
- The best way to clean the panels is with a hose, using water at room temperature. It is best to avoid warm water. The water should not be sprayed at an extremely high pressure since it might damage the equipment.
- Harsh soaps, detergents and chemicals should be avoided since they may not only leave a mark on the panels but also attract dirt as they stick to the surface.
- Besides, abrasive detergents can adversely affect the anti-reflective coating and scratch the glass surface. Non-abrasive sponges are the best bet for effective cleaning.
- Clean the solar panels when they are wet to wipe off any dust or residue stuck on them.
- According to industry experts, the best time to clean the panels is early in the mornings or late evenings. During peak hours, the panels are hot, and the company also risks losing out on energy generation.
- Overcleaning of the system should be avoided. Maintaining a periodic cleaning schedule based on dust and other pollutants in the area usually provides the best results.
Nimbus Solar: At your service
As one of the reputed and long-standing players in the industry, Nimbus Solar Solutions has proved to be a one-stop solution for all the solar aspirations of its end consumers. Denoting the values of trust, reliability and tremendous experience in the industry, this dynamic organization is committed to delivering world-class services and products across all verticals to its discerning clientele.
For more details, visit www.nimbussolar.in