Renewable energy is collected from renewable resources and naturally replenished. Sunlight, wind, tides, waves and geothermal heat are some examples of renewable resources. They possess immense potential since they are sustainable compared to fossil fuels.
Solar Power as a renewable energy
Solar power is one of the most optimally renewable and green forms of energy. It does not create greenhouse gases- like oil, gas and coal-powered energy systems. Renewable energy systems are becoming more efficient and cheaper every day. Their percentage of total energy consumption is on the rise. Some countries understand the benefits of solar power and are maximally using it to power their electric grid. Germany is the leading (PV) Photovoltaic) installer in the world and has set goals to produce 50% of its total electricity from solar power by 2050. Portugal, another wealthy nation, has 70% of the total electricity consumption vide solar power resources. Meanwhile, solar power is not growing as much as the other countries.
Harnessing Solar Energy
The big question is why the world has not been able to harness the full potential of renewable energy. Many nations worldwide already use renewable energy in the supply for more than 20% of their energy consumption. At the same time, some generate over half their electricity from renewable sources. So, if we have the technology to save the world, then why don’t more people take advantage of it?
Reasons for the underutilisation of renewable energy sources
The reasons for the underutilisation of renewable resources of energy could be many.
- Investing in Renewable energy is expensive with high capital costs. Wealthy nations can well afford the investments. However, they do not wish to lose their stability by shifting to something new as renewable energy resources. There is a need for a paradigm change to adopt new energy resources.
- Renewable energy could be more expensive. More money incentives will attract people to adopt the new technology. The Government needs to create incentives for people to start making a gradual change to a greener society.
- Renewable energy requires less maintenance than the usual generators. As a result, we can witness a reduction in operational costs. However, the price to preserve the rare resources is very high in the case of renewable energy.
- Even though they are initially expensive, they often pay for themselves in the long run. The initial set-up costs need to be mitigated to create a sustainable model. Renewable energy, if made inexpensive, will be better adapted by the people.
- Renewable energy has difficulty creating the same amount of power that the highly efficient fossil fuels make. It translates that people must either reduce the amount of energy they use or more efficient operations need to be set up. But people do not wish to change their lifestyles by using less energy and accommodating the environment. Advocacy for this change and the adoption of renewable energy for a sustainable planet is the need of the day.
- Another drawback blocking the use of renewable energy is case-specific. Hydroelectric plants require mass amounts of land to store water. This way, land for agricultural use is taken up, causing other environmental issues.
- Wealthy nations such as the US have not been able to benefit optimally from renewable energy consumption. The utility companies are wary of solar power; homes, offices, and buildings could go off the electric grid and become energy self-sufficient. Utility companies’ areas aren’t very hospitable to the idea of energy efficiency. From the utility’s point of view, every kilowatt-hour of rooftop solar power is a kilowatt-hour of reduced demand for that utility product.
The natural expectation is that customers remain on the power grid until a fully viable and economical alternative is available as a renewable energy resource. The Governments need to act as facilitators and create incentives for people by giving tax breaks to start making a gradual change to a greener society.
Building a Legacy in Renewable Energy
Nimbus Solar Solutions, one of the industry’s most reputable and long-standing firms, has proven to be a one-stop shop for all its end users’ solar objectives. It is devoted to providing world-class services and products across all verticals.
It denotes the values of trust, dependability, and significant industry expertise.
For more details, visit www.nimbussolar.in